- Face to Face course on Parcel-based Crop Monitoring from Space | Date: January 22 – 26, 2024 | Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar, Dakar, Senegal | Get ready to take part in this 5-day training with colleagues from all over the continent and learn how to tackle the challenges of Food Security by exploiting high resolution satellite observations to monitor crop production at individual field scale. The course consists of presentations and practical exercises in Python.
- Crop mapping in Zankalon, Egypt using different ML classifiers in Python | December 6, 2023, 14:00 CET (GMT+1) | Online webinar with live-chat | In this webinar the introduction and overview of the machine learning algorithms and classifiers will be provided with a special focus on supervised ML methods such as: Random Forest, Support Vector Machines and unsupervised ML methods such as K-means.
- Parcel-based crop monitoring from space | Wednesday, 29 November, 2023, 14:00 CET (GMT+1) | Online webinar with live-chat | This webinar will provide insights into the possibilities, limitations and remaining challenges related to high-resolution crop monitoring. Together we will explore which information can be derived from these satellite observations, including parcel extent, crop type, phenology, biomass production and crop stress.
October 2023 was a very busy month for the EO AFRICA R&D Facility. We delivered two face-to-face courses in parallel in Kigali and Dar es Salaam as part of our Capacity Development program through the EO AFRICA Space Academy. Mahdi
The 12th Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Use of Remote Sensing to Insure against the Peril Drought The webinar provides insights concerning the developed EO-based insurance model that utilizes
- Face to Face course on Agricultural Drought Monitoring from Space | Date: November 6 – 9, 2023 | Cape Town, South Africa | In this course, participants will get an introduction on how to use satellite imagery for the purpose of agricultural drought monitoring at various spatial scales, ranging from continental to field scale.
Registration is open for Face to Face course on Assessing vegetation dynamics from space with cloud-based EO analyses
- Face to Face course on Assessing vegetation dynamics from space with cloud-based EO analyses | Date: November 19 – 23, 2023 | Cairo, Egypt | In this course, participants will get an introduction to cloud-based techniques for assessing vegetation dynamics with Earth Observation data.
- Use of Remote Sensing to Insure against the Peril Drought | September 19, 2023, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | The webinar will provide insights concerning the developed EO-based insurance model that utilizes NDVI-imagery to quantitatively assess occurring agronomic droughts. As a business model, since 2018, the Vegetation Index Crop Insurance (VICI) scheme is successfully in use by various Ethiopian organizations.
Registration is open for Face to Face course on Soil Moisture and Inland Water Monitoring with Satellite Radar
- Face to Face course on Soil Moisture and Inland Water Monitoring with Satellite Radar | October 16 – 20, 2023 | Dar es Salaam, Tanzania | This course is covering the general concepts of radar remote sensing, how radar/microwaves interact with soil and vegetation, soil moisture retrieval with satellite radar, and the concept of zenith radar altimetry.
An interesting article in which Dr. Serkan Girgin from the EO AFRICA R&D Consortium, together with Dr. Marloes Penning de Vries, PI of one of our Research Projects, elaborate on the role of Open Science as an integral part of
- Crop Monitoring and Yield Estimation from Space | September 4 – 29, 2023 | Online course with live-chat | The ever-increasing spatial resolution offered by the newest generation of satellite sensors allow us to monitor agricultural production at the scale of an individual parcel and to quantitatively estimate or predict productivity.
The 11th Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Surface Soil Moisture products at continental scale The webinar gives an overview of high-resolution (1 km) satellite soil moisture data sets available
The 10th Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Drought Monitoring case studies in Africa The webinar describes ways to monitor drought events using microwave Earth Observation data. Existing methods for
- Surface Soil Moisture products at continental scale | June 13, 2023, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | The webinar will give an overview of high-resolution (1 km) satellite soil moisture data sets available at continental to global scale. These data sets are either derived by downscaling coarse resolution data from passive (SMAP, SMOS, AMSR2) and active (ASCAT) microwave sensors using optical or Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data, or by deriving the soil moisture data directly from only the SAR data.
Version 2 of the MOOC on Drought Assessment and Monitoring from Space is launched. Some additional webinars and descriptions of related research is included in the MOOC. For the presentations, both French and English subtitles can be displayed over the
- Drought Monitoring case studies in Africa | April 11, 2023, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | The webinar will describe ways to monitor drought events using microwave Earth Observation data. Existing methods for the calculation of climate normals, anomalies and drought indicators will be described and demonstrated over Africa. The strength and weaknesses of the indicators and an evaluation with common drought indicators such as Standardized Precipitation Index will be discussed. Furthermore, the use of soil moisture for early season yield prediction will be discussed.
- Assessing potential use of water resources in an African river basin | June 19 – July 14, 2023 | Online course with live-chat | This online course will show participants how to relate the water balance components (precipitation, evaporation, run-off and groundwater recharge) to identify surpluses of water and possible potential usage of those water resources in the area.
EO AFRICA R&D Research Projects 2023-2024 – Awarded Proposals: EO AFRICA R&D Research Projects 2023-2024 Following the successful Call for Research Proposals 2022-2023, the EO AFRICA R&D Facility, in coordination with the European Space Agency (ESA) and the African Union
- Monitoring Vegetation Dynamics from Space | April 3 – 28, 2023 | Online course with live-chat | In this course, you will be exploring the potential of the temporal dimension of satellite EO data for monitoring vegetation dynamics and land cover/land use changes over longer periods of time. Aside from learning the theoretical concepts of hyper-temporal monitoring, the participants will acquire practical skills in how to acquire, pre-process and analyse long time series of satellite EO data.
The 9th Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Global flood monitoring and Surface Soil Moisture anomalies The webinar describes ways to monitor flood events and surface soil moisture on a
EO AFRICA R&D Facility Follow
EO AFRICA: Building an African-European R&D partnership to facilitate sustainable use of Earth Observations in Africa. Funded by @ESA, led by @facultyITC