EO AFRICA R&D Facility is announcing: EO AFRICA R&D Research Projects – Awarded Proposals (First Call) Evaluation of the Proposals 62 proposals were received from 23 African and 16 European countries. Each proposal was reviewed by 2 domain experts for
- EO AFRICA Initiative | Tuesday – 24.05.2022, 03:20 PM | Agora SAPIENS, World Conference Center Bonn | The EO AFRICA Initiative will be explained and discussed during the Agora session of the ESA Living Planet Symposium next 24 of May in Bonn. Join us for an interesting roundtable-type discussion in which key representative of the Advisory Board and other African institutions will analyze the progress and define the future development of the EO AFRICA Initiative.
- 3rd edition of the DLR/ESA open PolInSAR training course | May 2 – July 8, 2022 | Online | Great opportunity to understand multi-parameter SAR data: The DLR-HR PolinSAR course offers a comprehensive training on SAR-based technics (PolSAR, InSAR, PolISAR, TomoSAR). This will be also an excellent opportunity for the users of our Innovation Lab to practice the cloud-based computing skills learnt, with a different platform. Places are limited but members of the EO AFRICA Community are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Face to Face course on Cloud Computing and Algorithms for EO Analyses | June 20 – 24, 2022 | Royal Hôtel Rabat, Rabat, Morocco | Introduction to Cloud Computing and its usage for Earth Observation (EO) data analyses.
The 4th Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Evapotranspiration from space This webinar is devoted to evapotranspiration (ET) monitoring with Earth Observation (EO) satellites. The webinar has the following parts:
- Face to Face course on Earth Observations for Water Resources Assessment and Monitoring | May 15–19, 2022 | Erata Hotel, Accra, Ghana | Introduction to cloud-based image analysis techniques for surface water resources assessment and monitoring with a focus on surface water bodies and wetland dynamics.
The 3rd Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Software Tools for Earth Observation analyses This webinar provides an overview of existing open-source tools for processing data coming from different satellite
- Water and Energy budgets from Space | April 18 – May 13, 2022 | Online course with live-chat | Satellite Earth observation, hydro-meteorological modelling and data assimilation provide a powerful combination for quantifying hydroclimatic variables to effectively address water management issues in this online course, an introduction will be given to the theory and techniques to observe the water and energy cycle variables form space.
- Introduction to Precipitation from Spac | April 20, 2022, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | This webinar introduces rainfall observations obtained from satellites using the visible, thermal infrared and microwave parts of the electromagnetic spectrum and blending routines applied, using qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- Evapotranspiration from space | March 25, 2022, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | This webinar is devoted to evapotranspiration (ET) monitoring with Earth Observation (EO) satellites.
The 2nd Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Access to Earth Observation This webinar aims to present which Earth Observation datasets are accessible via Data and Information Access Services (DIAS)
- Software Tools for Earth Observation analyses | March 10, 2022, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | This webinar provides an overview of existing open-source tools for processing data coming from different satellite missions with a main focus on Copernicus missions’ products.
- Cloud Computing and Algorithms for EO Analyses | March 15 – April 6, 2022 | Online course with live-chat | Introduction to Cloud Computing and its usage for Earth Observation (EO) data analysis. It starts with big geospatial data concepts and extends to Cloud Computing as one of the solutions for solving the problems of big EO data.
- Principles of and advances in Earth Observation | March 28 – April 14, 2022 | This online course will provide participants with fundamental EO knowledge to better understand and use Earth Observation data.
The 1st Webinar on the EO AFRICA R&D Facility Webinar Series is now available in our YouTube channel: Introduction to Cloud Computing for EO Analyses This webinar introduces Cloud Computing and its usage to analyse and process Earth Observation (EO)
- Access to Earth Observation | February 17, 2022, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | The webinar aims to present which Earth Observation datasets are accessible via Data and Information Access Services (DIAS) platforms, and demonstrate how such imagery can be queried, selected and downloaded.
- Introduction to Cloud Computing for EO Analyses | February 3, 2022, 14:00 CET | Online webinar with live-chat | This webinar introduces Cloud Computing and its usage to analyse and process Earth Observation (EO) data.
- Face to Face course on Advances in Earth Observation Event | February 7–11, 2022 | Online training course | Introduction to Earth Observation, the Copernicus Programme, Optical and Radar Remote Sensing, practical hands-on part and an individual project.
EO Africa R&D Facility, ESA, the African Commission, GMES & Africa and CURAT announce: The winners of the AfricaGIS 2021 Hackathonon Food Security and Water Resources During the AfricaGIS 2021 conference held in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire on 22nd – 26th
Extensive time-series on vegetation and wealth of operational satellites from space provides ample opportunities to monitor vegetation developments and more and more accurate yield forecast. This MOOC provides an introduction to “Droughts”, answers questions on how it can be quantified,
- AfricaGIS 2021 Hackathon on Food Security and Water Resources | November 22-25, 2021 | Centre Universitaire de Recherche et d’Application en Télédétection (CURAT), Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoir | Get ready to take part in the 3-day hackathon jointly organized by the EO AFRICA R&D Facility, GMES&Africa and CURAT as a part of the AfricaGIS 2021 conference.
ESA EO AFRICA R&D Facility, in collaboration with the African Union Commission (AUC) announce: Call for Research Proposals 2021 Related to the themes: EO for managing water scarcity and safeguarding food security in Africa EO AFRICA stands for African Framework
- AfriGEO Virtual Symposium 2021 | 17-19 November 2021 | Open Science for growing African Industries in Earth Observation | Organized by Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and The Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD)
Open to 1-year R&D proposal contributing to one of the following areas:
- Water resources management
- Food security
- Open call: 16 July 2021
- Deadline for submission of Proposals: 30 September 2021
- Communication of Results: (tentative) Mid November 2021
- Beginning of Activities: (tentative) 1st quarter 2022
- GIS and Earth Observation Symposium 2021 | 24-25 June 2021 | Supporting Water Service Provision and Water Resources Management through Utilization of GIS and Earth Observation Technologies | Hosted by Kenya Water Institute (KeWI) / Ministry of Water & Sanitation and Irrigation
- HYDROSPACE-GEOGloWS 2021 | 7-11 June 2021 | Hosted as a Virtual Event from ESA-ESRIN, Frascati (Rome), Italy
- Europe-Africa Space Earth Observation High-Level Forum | 10 and 11 June 2021 | Lisbon and Online
- European Development Days 2021 – 14th edition | 15 and 16 June 2021 | Online
As part of a long-term strategy (>10 years), the European Space Agency launched their new initiative EO AFRICA (African Framework for Research Innovation, Communities and Applications in Earth Observation), by the kick-off meeting of the EO AFRICA Research and Development